Reverend David Amoah, an Electrical and Telecommunication Engineer of Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) has stated that bad electrical wiring causes electrical leakages, which leads to increase in energy consumption and unexpected hike in the electricity bill.
He explained that when the wiring was full of joints, under size cable and over aged wiring , the insulation property worn out, which created heat in the system and caused the meter to read fast, leading to high payment of electricity bills.
Rev Amoah said this on Thursday at the launch of his book titled “Get It Right Engineering Guide for Electricity Consumers”, in Accra.
The 78-pag book has seven chapters with topics such as introduction to electricity, electrical wiring and who qualifies to do wiring, energy meter, getting electricity to your premises, pre-payment meters and energy consumption and safety.
He said the book was to educate consumers of electricity on how electrical charges were formed to produce electricity and also enabled consumers to appreciate how electricity was generated, distributed and used by the gadgets.
He said electrical wiring whether for residential, commercial or industrial project must be carefully installed and maintained to provide safety to persons and property.
Rev Amoah, who is also the Senior Pastor of the Power and Glory Ministry International, Dansoman posited “poor electrical wiring is expensive to maintain and also causes fire outbreaks, leading to lives and property”.
He said the Electrical Wiring Regulations, 2011, L.I.2008 provides a guideline on who qualifies to undertake electrical wiring in the country.
Rev Amoah stated that regulation seven states that “a person shall not undertake electrical wiring on premises unless that person is certified by a licensed electrical distribution utility company or a recognised firm appointed by the Energy Commission.
He said the book exposed consumers to the functions of the three main power sector companies in the country-the Volta River Authority Limited, the Ghana Grid Company Limited and the Electricity Company of Ghana Limited.
The Author stated that the book sought to correct errors and mistakes encountered in electrical wiring and the importance of proper wiring and who were mandated by law to carry out house or industry wiring.
He advised the public to always engage the services of a professional electrician certified by ECG, since most of the frequent fire outbreaks in the markets and houses were caused by poor electrical wiring.
Mr Seth Dekpor, the Acting General Manager of Accra East ECG advised the public especially ECG staff to buy the book and upgrade their knowledge on the operations of the company and apply them in their field of work.
He said the book was simplified to the understanding of all and encouraged electricity customers to get a copy to understand electrical issues and safety to be free from any electrical challenges.
- Aisha Huang Jailed 4 Years, Six Months, Fined GH¢48k - December 4, 2023
- Enjoyment Of Human Rights Contributing To Teenage Pregnancy – Queen Mother - December 4, 2023
- Social Protection Services Must Be Available To People Affected By AIDS - December 4, 2023